I am about to share a recipe with you that is going to take Taco Tuesday to the NEXT FREAKING LEVEL: Avocado Tomatillo Salsa.
I can cook. I mean, I can cook some pretty amazing things sometimes. But my cooking doesn’t even compare to my inlaws’ cooking! We were over at my husband’s stepdad’s house a few months ago for dinner, eating taquitos, carne asada, rice and beans, pico de gallo – all made from scratch, of course – and it was better than any restaurant I’ve ever been to! Besides the obligatory tomato salsa, there was this FANTASTIC creamy, spicy, tomatillo-avocado concoction that we DROWNED our taquitos in. You guys. It was so, so good. I begged them to share this recipe with me, and now I’m going to share it with you, because this just isn’t the kind of thing you keep under your hat. Make this, and you’ll be so happy. I promise.
- 8 tomatillos, roughly chopped
- 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime (juice)
- 2 serrano chiles, roughly chopped
- Boil tomatillos and serranos in a small amount of water until soft. Drain and place in blender.
- Add avocados, cilantro, onion, and garlic, and lime juice to blender. Blend on "chop" setting until desired consistency is reached. If salsa is too thick, add a small amount of water a little at a time while blender is on.
- Add salt and additional lime juice to taste.
- Delicious served with taquitos or chips!
P.S. Also pictured here is my Restaurant Style Salsa – put your blender to work!